UNC Charlotte IRSV Project - Papers and Presentations (thus far):
We have enforced a policy that all publications will include the following acknowledge statement:
This project is supported by grant number DTOS59-07-H-0005 from the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA). The views, opinions, findings and conclusions reflected in this publication are the responsibility of the authors only and do not represent the official policy or position of the USDOT, RITA, or any State or other entity. The authors also would like to acknowledge the guidance and contributions of Mr. Caesar Singh, the Program Manager at USDOT; and the continued technical assistance of Mr. Garland Haywood of NCDOT Division 10, and Mr. Jimmy Rhyne of the City of Charlotte DOT.
We also acknowledge and appreciate the excellent review and input of our National Advisory Committee: Sreenivas Alampalli, New York State DOT; Mrinmay (Moy) Biswas, North Carolina DOT; Hamad abu-Harash, Iowa DOT; Kelley Rehm, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO); K. T. Thirumalai, STI International; Dan Turner, University of Alabama; and Phillip Yen, FHWA Turner-Fairbank Research Center.
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications:
1. W.Q. Liu, S.E. Chen and Hauser, E., “LiDAR-Based Bridge Structure Defect Detection,” Experimental Techniques, accepted for publication.
2. W.Q. Liu, S.E. Chen and E. Hauser, “Low Clearance Bridge Assessment Using LiBE (LiDAR based Bridge Evaluation,” revision, ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities.
3. W.Q., Liu, S.E. Chen, K. Dai and E. Hauser, “Review Paper: Remote Sensing Applications to Health Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure,” submitted to Structural Health Monitoring.
4. W.Q. Liu, S.E. Chen, D. Boyajian and E. Hauser (2010). “Application of 3D LiDAR Scan of Bridge Under Static Load Testing,” Materials Evaluation,68(12), 1359-1367 .
5. S.E. Chen, C. Rice, C. Boyle and E. Hauser, “Small Format Aerial Photography for Highway Bridge Monitoring,” ASCE J. Performance of Constructed Facilities, 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000145.
6. S.E. Chen, W. Liu, K. Dai, H. Bian and E. Hauser, “Remote Sensing for Bridge Monitoring,” ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, 2010 (Geohunan).
Peer Reviewed Conference Papers
1. S.E. Chen, W. Liu, K. Dai, H. Bian and E. Hauser, “Remote Sensing for Bridge Monitoring,” GeoHunan International Conference II: Emerging Technologies for Design, Construction, Rehabilitation, and Inspections of Transportation Infrastructure, June 9-11, 2011, Hunan, China, conference co-sponsored by ASCE and TRB.
2. S.E. Chen, “Advances in Remote Sensing for Bridge Structural Health Evaluation,” Proceedings, Seventh Structural Engineering Convention (SEC2010), Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamil Nadu, India, 08-10 December, 2010, pp.18-28.
3. W. Liu, S.E. Chen, K. Dai, C. Rice, B. Philbrick, E. Hauser, R. Eguchi, “Bridge Evaluation through Advanced Noncontact Sensing Techniques,” TRB, Washington DC, 2010.
4. X. Wang, R. Vatcha, W. Du, S. Lee, R. Chang, S.E. Chen, E. Hauser, W. L. Tolone, W. Ribarsky, “IRSV, An Integrated Visual Analytics Bridge Management System,” TRB, Washington DC, 2010.
5. S.E. Chen and E. Hauser, “Commercial Remote Sensing for Bridge Health Monitoring,” Keynote paper, International Conference on Advances in Materials and Techniques in Civil Engineering (ICAMAT-2010), Jan 7-9, 2010, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
6. S.E. Chen, C. Rice, C. Boyle, E. Hauser and B. Philbrick, “Small-Format Aerial Photography for Highway Bridge Monitoring,” Proceedings SPIE – Structural Health Monitoring, San Diego, CA, 2010.
7. Wanqiu Liu, S.E. Chen, A. Sajedi and E. Hauser, “The Role of Terrestrial 3D LiDAR Scan in Bridge Health Monitoring,” Proceedings SPIE – Structural Health Monitoring, San Diego, CA, 2010.
8. E. Hauser, W. Liu, S.E. Chen, B. Ribarsky, S.W. Lee and B. Tolone, “Integrated LiDAR Applications in Enhanced Bridge Management,” Proceedings, ASNT Fall Conference and Quality Testing Show, October 19-23, 2009, Columbus, OH.
9. S.E. Chen, E. Hauser, R. Eguchi, W. Liu, C. Rice, Z. Hu, C. Boyle and H. Chung, “Bridge Health Monitoring Using Commercial Remote Sensing,” Proceedings, 7th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford, CA, 2009.
10. Liu, W., S.E. Chen and E. Hauser, “Remote Sensing for Bridge Health Monitoring,” Proceedings, SPIE Conference on Optical Engineering and Applications, San Diego, CA, Aug 2, 2009.
11. Wang, X., Vatcha, R., Dou, W., Liu, W., S.E. Chen, S.W. Lee, R. Chang and W. Ribarsky, “Knowledge Integrated Visual Analysis of Bridge Security and Maintenance,” SPIE Conference on Visual Analytics for Homeland Defense and Security, 2009.
12. Wang, X., W., Dou, S.E. Chen, W. Ribarsky and R. Chang, “Investigate Visual Analytics System for In-Depth Bridge Management,” IEEE Symposium on Visual Analytics Oct 16th, 2009.
13. Lee, S.K., W.J. Tolone, A. Murty, R. Vatcha, X. Wang, R. Chang, W. Ribarsky, W. Liu, S. Chen and E. Hauser, “Towards Sustainable Infrastructure Management: Knowledge-based Service-oriented Computing Framework for Visual Analytics” SPIE Defense, Security and Sensing Conference, April, 2009.
14. Wang, X., Dou, W., S.K. Lee, W. Ribarsky and R. Chang, “Integrating visual analysis with ontological knowledge structure,” Knowledge Assisted Visualization Workshop, held on Oct 19th, 2008 in Columbus Ohio.